1. The minimum width of a vehicular crossing is three centre kerbs (three lowered kerbs) and two transitional kerbs (tapered kerbs) one to each side, works must be undertaken by a competent contractor and undertaken through the working week Mon-Fri with 48hrs notice given to the council in order for the works to be inspected/ supervised by the local highways inspector.
2. The chosen contractor must make sure that the working area is safe, and that all necessary lights, signs and cones to include barriers if required are in place as to ensure safety to the public. It is the contractor’s responsibility to make sure he is aware of all services which may pass through the proposed area, the cost of moving any street furniture (lighting columns, sign posts) will be borne by the applicant.
3. The following specification is for a domestic vehicular crossing and is one which is accepted by the local highways of Bradford and surrounding area, specifications may change however dependant on the local council to the proposed site, contact our office on 01274 532782 to receive the correct specification for your area.
4. Excavate the proposed area to a depth of 225mm and remove all waste from site,
Excavations are generally undertaken using the correct machines and the work undertaken is to excavate the required area to the correct depth dependant on the specification being used, care must be taken at this time as to the location of any services, it is advisable to obtain a plan of the services for your area and or to use a service detector (C.A.T) to find the relevant services. Excavations must be supervised at all times by a qualified banks man.
5. Install required kerb stones bedded on and backed with concrete,
A minimum sized crossing must have three centre kerbs and two transitional kerbs one to each side, these kerbs must be bedded on 150mm of concrete, care must be taken in relation to the levels, a depth of 30mm between the road surface and the top of the centre kerb would be an acceptable level.
6. Treat total area with weed killer,
A suitable strength weed killer must be used to ensure against re-growth and one which will kill through to the roots.
7. Lay required depth of crushed foundation to form falls and cross falls to assist water escape machine rolled,
Dependant on the required specification generally for a domestic applications 150mm of a certified MOT type crushed limestone or equivalent material should be used and must be compacted using the right weight of compactor, generally this would be a twin drum ride on roller. It is required at this point to take note when laying the crushed hard core to take into consideration the levels and shape of the Crossing area in relation to water escape; this will prevent any ponding when the vehicular crossing is complete.
8. Adjust all iron works to required levels,
Iron work relates to any manhole chambers, water/gas stop tap boxes etc. The iron works should be adjusted in height to the required finish surface level suiting the relevant falls and cross falls to assist water escape, the work would involve adjusting the height by means of hiring /lowering where required on a sand and cement mix with suitable spacing materials/ packing pieces as required.
9. Lay to total area required specification of binder and surface course tarmacadam machine rolled,
Again dependant on proposed usage the specification can differ for different applications; generally the specification for a domestic application would be 55mm of 20mm binder course tarmacadam and 20mm of 6mm surface course tarmacadam both materials would be laid to the required area and machine rolled using the required weight of roller.
10. Tar all joints to seal where new surface meets surrounding surfaces with hot pored bitumen.
Sealing the joints where the new surface meets with surrounding surfaces helps prevent any deterioration of the joint and also to protect against ingress of water and or any other adverse weather conditions, the sealing process is achieved by over banding the joint with a bitumous material and can be applied both hot or cold.